Butchery is an art form. You will learn all aspects of the butchery trade including how to treat the whole animal with total respect, skill, and precision. Focusing on finding complete value in the whole animal. You will learn about the making and baking of pies and pastries and how to serve customers with a value-added experience.
Total hours per week
Possible start date
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Sharpen and adjust cutting equipment
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery
- Cut, bone and mince pieces of meat
- Weigh, wrap and display cuts of meat
- Cut and prepare meats to specification for customer’s order
- Store meats in refrigerators and freezers at the required temperature
- Keep and understand inventory of meat sales
- Negotiate with representatives from supply companies to determine order details
- Clean equipment and work areas to maintain health and sanitation standards
- Understanding and enforcing law enforced points of health and hygiene – HACCP
- Working with the public, upholding polite and diligent customer service
- Working with till systems
- A general understanding of store preparation and chores
Monday - Friday, 08:00 - 1700. Hours and rota will be discussed at interview (some Saturday work will be required).
40 hour per week
21 May 2020
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Requirements and prospects
- Manual eexterity
- Good co-ordination
- Good with people
- Well presented
- Good initiative
- Not afraid of hard work
The entry requirements for this programme are – GCSEs at grades D/3 or above (or equivalent) in maths and English are preferable, however not essential as functional skills are offered to upskill as part of the programme
We are looking for someone with drive, integrity, intuition, and a passion for good food.
- Become a qualified professional butcher
- A contracted full-time job
- Gain more responsibility and leadership skills
- Hit targets to achieve bonuses
- Work towards further promotions and pay rises
About the employer
At Whieldons you will find the best selection of the finest quality Beef, Lamb, Pork and Poultry. We select the best local suppliers, so our product comes from a traceable source where the animals obtain high welfare standards and a healthy balanced diet.
With over 60 years of traditional butchery experience we can offer various cuts, trims, and meat preparation demonstrations. In addition to fresh meat we offer a wide range of cooked meats, homemade sausages, freshly made pies and even a range of cheeses and homemade pate.
Whieldons offer a friendly and professional service – this is a butcher where each customer is an individual, addressed by their name and their particular preferences known by all the team – just good old-fashioned service in a modern world.
Reaseheath Training will be the apprenticeship provider for the Level 2 Butcher apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- The employer will give guidance and support throughout
- Off-the-job training must make up at least 20% of the apprentice’s contracted hours, over the total duration of the apprentice’s planned training period
- This standard apprenticeship may include Functional Skills in maths, English & ICT (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Apprentices must achieve Level 2 Food Safety Award, Level 2 Health & Safety in the Food Supply Chain Award, and Level 2 Knife Skills Award prior to taking the End-Point Assessment.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Reaseheath College