Leisure and Fitness Apprentice
Inspiring Healthy Lifestyles Ltd
Are you looking to start your career within the sport and leisure industry? Wigan Life Centre are looking for 2 individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about leisure and fitness. The role involves maintaining the safety of pool users and providing motivation and support for gym members to achieve their fitness goals.
Total hours per week
Possible start date
In this role you will gain experience in all aspects of our operations. You will spend time lifeguarding the pools, working with members in the gym and engaging with customers throughout the building.
Duties and responsibilities would include:
- Learn how to create personal exercise programmes for gym members
- Showing members how to use gym equipment correctly
- Complete health and safety checks as and when directed
- Lifeguard duties - provision of safe and effective pool supervision
Some evenings and weekends required. Shifts TBC.
37 hour per week
10 Sep 2019
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Requirements and prospects
A swimming test is part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following:
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
- Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
- Candidates must have a passion for wanting to work within the sport and leisure industry and pursue their career within this sector
- Candidates must have excellent customer service skills
- A key component of this role is communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing)
- Ideally candidates should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2 but this is not essential
- Positive attitude
- Good communication
- Interest in sport
- Ability to work well as part of a team
Possible progression to vacant fitness posts (as available) Level 3 Personal Training for the right candidate.
About the employer
We don’t just manage facilities. We pioneer new approaches to helping people live happier and healthier lives. Change doesn't happen overnight but we deliver thousands of activities so our communities have the chance to get moving whenever they choose, and whoever and wherever they are. Everything we do is about healthy minds and bodies.
Whether it's a smash hit celebrity taking centre stage at the Prince of Wales Theatre, a fascinating exhibit at the beautiful Museum of Cannock Chase, an outdoor workout at Mesnes Park or National Play Day at Haigh Woodland Park, you can be sure we're making life fun.
Inspiring Healthy Lifestyles Ltd
Wigan Life Centre
Disabled candidates will generally be offered an interview if you meet the minimum requirements for this vacancy. Contact the employer for full details.
Employers may need to limit the number of interviews offered to both disabled and non-disabled people if they receive high numbers of applications.
The disability confident scheme supports employers to make the most of the talents disabled people can bring to your workplace.
- Level 2 Qualification in Instructing Exercise and Fitness
- Functional Skills maths level 2 (if GCSE A-C is not already achieved)
- Functional Skills English level 2 (if GCSE A-C is not already achieved)
Training frameworkExercise and Fitness
WIGAN LEISURE AND CULTURE TRUST
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Wigan Leisure And Culture Trust